Thursday, July 19, 2007

Two Plus Months

TWO PLUS MONTHS

It’s been over two months since I moved down to San Diego. Thanks so much to everyone who has asked me how things are doing here. I really appreciate that my friends care… or at least are able to fake caring in a manner in which I can’t discern if it’s real or not. Kudos to you either way! =D

Overall, I’m very happy here. San Diego still doesn’t feel like home, and I’m not sure it ever really will. But, for now, it kind of feels like an adventure, or an extended vacation – not too shabby either way.

Really and truly, the best thing about being in San Diego is getting to be with Scott all the time. =) Instead of seeing him only on the weekends, I see him almost every day. I must admit, while I was for the most part confident that everything would turn out fine, there was a little seed of doubt in my mind, worrying that perhaps we’d get sick of each other.

It’s quite the opposite, though. I love every minute I spend with Scott. Even right now, Scott is in the other room working on some 3-D modeling for his class, and I’m sitting in the living room typing out this blog. But, just knowing that any time I want to, I can get off my ass and go see him (among other things not suitable for print)… well, it’s pretty much paradise. =)

Kind of off topic, but July 29th will be our 1 year anniversary. I’m not quite sure how to make it special. I'm sure you'll read all about it later… well, probably not ALL about it later. I’d feel bad if I burned out my friends’ retinas. =(


SAN DIEGO VS. LOS ANGELES

Like I said, SD doesn’t feel like home to me. But, really, if I had to move anywhere outside of L.A., I’m glad it was San Diego.

For starters, San Diego’s landscape, environment, and the plant and animal life are so similar to L.A.’s; it helps me to not feel so homesick. It really doesn’t look so different around here.

Then again, there are some things that I really miss about LA… things I wouldn’t have expected to miss three or so months ago. More than anything, I miss the freeways. It sounds weird, but I miss my freeways where I knew all of the exits and recognized all of the numbers. I’ve spent so much time on them, both driving and riding as a passenger. To me, a huge part of LA is its freeway system. We all spend so much time on there, and we don’t really realize how much a part of our lives it becomes until we’re away from it.

I miss the San Gabriel Mountains, too. I mean, San Diego is by no means flat, but there are no mountains here the size of the San Gabriels. Living in the foothills all of my life, they’ve just always been there. Again, I never really noticed them until I didn’t see them anymore.

Oh, how human that is – you really never notice the things that seep into your subconscious, the things that become a part of you, until they aren’t there any longer.

I miss Pasadena, and I miss the old Pasadena place I was living in. That place was so flippin’ awesome. I loved living in that old, Craftsman-style bungalow. I liked having all of those friendly families around who’d say hi to me when I was walking around the neighborhood. I miss that huge ass backyard, and being able to have parties with my friends. I mean, the apartment I’m living in now is cool, and I love my roomie. (Janelle is the best roommate I’ve ever had.) Still, I miss that house, and I miss living the Pasadena lifestyle.

That being said, there are some things about San Diego that I really like. I LOVE living so close to the beach. I've always wanted to live within walking distance of the beach at least once in my life. Now that I do, I am so glad that I made that goal happen. Last Thursday, Scott and I went to the beach after work, and we just swam around and played in the ocean for a bit. That’s such a luxury, and I won’t soon forget just how blessed I am to be able to do that.

That’s another thing – beaches are WAY cleaner and nicer here in San Diego. There are a lot more people and volunteer groups cleaning up the beaches around here. I don’t know why people care more about the beaches here, but it sure is nice to be able to go to the beach and feel free to walk around without worrying about stepping on a used condom.

Really, that’s what I like most of all about San Diego… not the “not stepping on a used condom” part (although that is much appreciated). There’s just a feeling around San Diego that people really care about and take pride in the community – and that there’s a community in the first place.

In LA, everything is so spread out. Even in someplace central like Pasadena, it took me at least a half an hour to get anywhere. The LA Zoo was in Burbank, all the Hollywood sights were down in Hollywood (go figure), the hot clubs were in Downtown (which is a royal bitch to get to). Then, the beaches are 45+ minutes away, and they are so far away from each other. Hiking is up in the mountains, and the hiking spots are so spread out – from Malibu to Mt. Baldy. The amusement parks are in Anaheim and Valencia – a good two hours away from each other (with traffic, which there always is).

It’s just a fact of life in LA that if you want to do something, you have to spend time in your car to get there. And, I think that helps to contribute to the lack of community up there. No one really gets to spend a lot of time in their own neighborhood. People have to drive, or at bare minimum take shitty public transportation for work, home, shopping, errands, and fun. There’s no time for community when everyone is on the move.

But, in San Diego, there is a much stronger sense of community. I would have to say in all of my experience traveling around California, San Diego has the most proud citizenry, and the most sense of a community. A perfect example: Balboa Park.

As I mentioned above, in LA you have to drive all over the place to get out and do things. In San Diego, one of the many options is Balboa Park (www.balboapark.org). It’s centrally located next to the downtown area. There, they have over 15 museums, including the Museum of Photographic Arts, the SD Air & Space Museum, and the SD Natural History Museum (which currently has the Dead Sea Scrolls, which I’m dragging Scootz to soon). =)


But, that’s not all Balboa Park has. The San Diego Zoo (WITH PANDAS!!!) is right next door. You don’t even have to move your car to go from the Dead Sea Scrolls to the Pandas – you just walk your ass over. Then, if you go to their calendar on their website, you’ll see that there is always some art or cultural event going on there. When Scott and I went the last couple of times, they had an Orchid Festival, and a Native American Pow Wow out by the Cultural Center (also right next-door to Balboa Park).

There is NOTHING even close to Balboa Park in LA. The closest thing is Griffith Park, and even with that you’ve got to drive from one end of the park to another – especially if you want to go to the Observatory. But, places like Balboa Park are common around San Diego – places where people can go, learn, and have fun – and can mix and mingle with others without having to spend half of their day in the car.

That’s really what I love about San Diego: everyone is so proud and happy to live here. Even though I really don’t consider myself a “San Diegan”, I am enjoying the area and all of the different activities immensely. I’m sure you’ll hear more about them as the months go by. =)




One of the classic buildings of Balboa Park. I believe this is for the SD Natural History Museum, but I could be wrong... stranger things have happened. UPDATE: I went there this past weekend for the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit w/ Scootz (I'm a woman of my word), and I realized I WAS wrong. This is actually the Casa del Prado Theatre. See, I AM wrong every now again. (What do you mean you didn't doubt that?) >=(



One of the many beautiful orchids from the Orchid Festival at Balboa Park.


I'm not quite sure how I managed not to have my heart explode at this: a baby panda asleep in a tree. D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! (San Diego Zoo)


Tourmaline section of Pacific Beach on Fourth of July.



Sunset at Mission Bay. This was taken during our first bonfire of the year.


OCEAN BEACH

Of all of the cities and suburbs I could have picked to live in, I’m really glad I chose Ocean Beach as my homestead for San Diego. Now, granted I spend most of my week at Scott’s, anyway, but I do love having my place in Ocean Beach.

Ocean Beach is the kind of place where I always wanted to live: beach town, filled with hippies, eclectic, liberal, tons of vegetarian and environmentally conscious stores and shops, and a neighborhood filled with friendly people who stop and ask how you are – and who give a crap about what your answer is. OB is a lovely, hippie wonderland, and I’m happy to spend at least part of my mid-twenties here. =D

One thing about OB is it’s VERY community centric. It has several co-ops, artists’ communes, and lots of programs to get the locals to support local businesses. (If you want to know why this is so critical, read The Little Money Book by David Boyle and see the DVD “Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price”.

Probably my favorite part of Ocean Beach is the World-Famous Dog Beach. Dog Beach is the kind of place where my heart feels at peace. The basic premise of Dog Beach is that it’s a beach specifically set aside so that people can bring their dogs down to the beach and let them run free. Because this is such an anomaly along the coast, people take really good care of Dog Beach. Out of the dozen times there, I have only seen one pile of dog poop on the beach. (And, I can guarantee the prick who left it there was a tourist.) The dogs absolutely LOVE running around, rolling in the sand, fetching balls and toys in the ocean, and playing with all of the other dogs. Unless a person has a phobia of dogs, I cannot see how someone could not be absolutely enchanted by the place. It’s about a 20-30 minute walk from my apartment, and I take every chance I get to visit it.

OB also has a very popular Farmer’s Market, which I fully support. (Again, if you want to find out why, get that The Little Money Book.) It’s every Wednesday on Newport Avenue, the “downtown” area of OB. While I don’t often get a chance to go, when I do I make sure to go down there and support our local farmers.

I really don’t know how to describe OB other than it makes me feel satisfied and at peace living there. I still miss LA a lot, but I’m so glad I chose OB as my substitute home.


A couple of poochies play in the ocean at Dog Beach, Ocean Beach.


Chillin' with some of my new neighbors. (Hey, I'll take them over peacocks any day!) =)


Quintessential OB: The Rainbow Hippie Bus parked in the middle of the Farmer's Market.


The view down Newport Avenue during the Farmer's Market


Local artists beautifying downtown OB. There is a real sense of community down here that I really appreciate.


This picture summarizes everything that Ocean Beach is to me.


NEW JOB

To complete my move to San Diego, I started a new job. I’m working at Skinit.com as a Sales Assistant/Coordinator. (AKA: Still a Snake Oil Saleswoman). It pays more than my last job, which is always nice. But, most of all, I’m REALLY enjoying what I’m doing here.

I’ve always felt that a person’s job determines a great deal of his or her overall happiness. It’s not the only factor, but it is a very big one. I know at least it’s a very big part of my satisfaction with my move to San Diego… probably just third behind Scott (first) and making new friends (second).

Now that I’m someplace where my creativity is not only encouraged, but appreciated and praised as well, it REALLY makes all of the difference. Everyone at my new office has been exceptionally nice, including my boss. I can’t even begin to tell you how much better I feel now that my hard efforts are being noticed and praised. It really makes all the difference.

To see what all I’m selling these days, visit http://www.skinit.com/. And, if you want any skins for your phone, laptops, iPods, etc., let me know. They’re SUPER nice here about letting employees get the hook-ups for free skins. (Which I think is very smart. Hey, it’s near free advertising for us. It sure costs a lot less than any commercial we could come up with.)


THE DIFFERENCE

Really, there have been two main reasons that my move to San Diego has not been wrought with homesickness and loneliness.

The first reason is obvious: Scott. He has been so supportive of me during this move. Not only has he spent almost every day with me since I moved down here, but he’s gone out of his way to make me feel welcome and special, even as he’s working three jobs right now. He’s shown me all around San Diego, and has taken me to some of his favorite places. I won’t go into TOO much schmaltz, lest I jinx the happiest times of my life. All I’ll say is that the whole reason I moved was to be closer to Scott, and my joy has increased more than I ever thought possible.

The other reason the move has gone successful is friends – both old and new. I must thank all of my old friends. Even as I’ve moved, just about everyone has kept in touch with me, asking me how I’m doing, and keeping me posted on what’s going on in their worlds. That means so much to me, and I thank all of you for it. And, I give a special thanks to everyone who’s taken the time to visit me here: Stephanie, Ray Ray, Olga, Annie, Cornel, and Daniel. It’s always good to see familiar faces, and my home is (almost) always open to everyone (unless I’m in LA). =)

But, by the same token, I would like to thank all of my new friends, most of whom are really Scott’s friends that have so graciously accepted me into the circle and made me feel welcome. Patrishie, Little Justin, Big Justin, Yu, Janelle, Veeral, Sachin, and Bala: you have all been so good to me, and have truly made my move enjoyable. I’m so glad not just to have met Scootz, but to have met all of you vicariously. (Except for you, Janelle – I owe Craig and his list a debt of gratitude on that one.) =)

So, what’s the conclusion to this (admittedly) long-winded blog? I’m happy. And, let me tell you, even with missing home and all of my LA friends, it feels really good to be this happy.

And, with that, I’ll leave you with this slideshow from the past 2 ½ months that I think sums it all up.

Cheers,

E



No comments: